Re: ncurses and terminal definitions

Hi Terry,

Don't know exactly what accounts for the performance drain you see with
98.  Like you say, could be just a slow machine.  You'd have to debug it
to know for sure.

One point.  /usr/share/terminfo/c/cygwin == c:\usr\share\terminfo\c\cygwin
only if the Cygwin root mount point (/) == c:\.  As you can see, you get
this for free if your current drive is c: but that's not guaranteed.  You
may want to add one step and one binary to your installation procedure.
That is, after plopping the files down where you want them, invoke the
following:

mount -s c:/ /

This will require privileges to write to the system hive of the registry.
If you don't have this right or can't get it, you can omit the '-s' flag,
but the mount will only be available for the current user.  You will need
to repeat the command (minus the '-s') for all the users that need your
application on that machine.  You don't need to leave 'mount' on the
machine after installation.

Larry

Terry Dabbs wrote:

Larry,

I just copied the path so the file is c:\usr\share\terminfo\c\cygwin directly
from the machine I compile with. This does work, and cygwin, yet again, has
made my little project happier. I do note that the laptop running win98 I
tried this on took a good 20 seconds to give up the terminal to the program.
Is this just because the lap top is slow (it is...) or is win98 simply that
poor compared to NT in performance. The delay on NT, if any, is not
perceptable....

Thanks,

Terry Dabbs

Larry Hall wrote:

Terry Dabbs wrote:

I've been using gcc to compile some simple applications for NT win98 and
win95 for automating machinery. I have a problem on one screen where you
can't read the command.com screen (windows98) clearly, so I loaded
ncurses, redid the application so it the text is very bright and
colorful even on the poor screen. Very nice.
The problem is, I was up to now only needing to place the cygwin1.dll on
each machine I put a program on, and that's all, with the exception of
the executable and miscellaneous setup files. I thought I would only
have to place the cygncurses7.dll on the machines as well.
I moved the executable and placed cygncurses7.dll on a machine, tried
it, and got "Error opening terminal: cygwin". I read references to this
in the mailing lists, which say do an "install" on each machine with
multiple packages using setup.
For a number of reasons I wish to avoid this, the least of which is they
are not on the net.
What is the least amount of files I need, and where should I put them
for ncurses to identify the terminal on the machines I need to put my
executable? Can you help?

It's just looking for the 'cygwin' terminal database. You can find that in /usr/share/terminfo/c/cygwin.

Holliston, MA 01746