RE: "Using Cygwin Effectively with Windows" -- Draft of new User's Guide section

In the next to last paragraph there is a strange thing ;-)
 "Therefore these two types of links differently."

--8<--
> Some things:
--8<--
> --Documentation of printing is sparse since I don't really do it much.
> Does anyone have extensive documentation of their complex setup?

 I'd say stay basic: i.e. tell that:  (This is quickly sribbled text, take
heed!)

--
"lpr" just sends data to the printer defined in $PRINTER unless told to send
elsewhere with "-P" (man lpr for details). Take note that lpr does

 For a printer to accept data or text to be printed, the printer must most
of the time be told about the format of the data that is sent to it. Failing
to do so will make the printer either do random things or "hang" at least,
at best it ignores the input.

 Most of the time, unless the printer is real simple, doing things like:
 $ cat ~/.profile | lpr
won't work, just because the output would be plain ASCII/text. while
 $ enscript ~/.profile
would work, assuming you have defined a postscript printer as "default
printer" in Windows. This is so because enscript creates a postscript
wrapper for the text in the file.

 Postcript, for printers capable of that, can be generated with a2ps and
enscript at least. ghostscript has some ablilities in the field of
converting postscript into printer-native data e.g. PCL for HP Deskjet and
Laserjet printers. Then there might be others that might compile OTOB e.g.
djtools from Debian distributions and HP deskjet drivers from RedHat Linux
distributions. Printers from other vendors will require other tools to
generate the data that will cause the printer put output on paper.
--

Anyone; Adjustments for correctness?

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE Microcomputer systems - 59?14'N, 17?12'E
--END OF MESSAGE--