Re: no path set after installation on win2k

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Lucas Gonze wrote:

> Bug:
> * Run a fresh install on Windows 2000 5.00.2195.
> * Start a shell
> * Do "ls" or any other standard command from /cygwin/bin.
> * Command not found.
>
> It's probably relevant that the runtime environment hasn't been
> initialized -- there's no ~/.bashrc and no /etc/.bash_profile.  The
> specific source of my download doesn't seem to be relevant, since I
> tried a bunch of different ones.  It doesn't seem to help to reinstall,
> since the reinstall always says that there's nothing to install.
>
> Off the top of my head, my guess is that the post-install setup isn't
> happening.  Any suggestions for a fix or workaround?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> - Lucas Gonze

Lucas,

The standard procedure for reporting Cygwin problems (especially setup
problems) is to attach the output of "cygcheck -svr", as indicated in
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html> (which is a good read in any case).

At a guess, are you installing as a domain user?

BTW, the post-install script invocation should be logged in
/etc/setup/setup.log.full, so you can look there to verify whether the
scripts were actually invoked, and whether there were errors.  This file
is overwritten on every install, though, so try blowing away your Cygwin
directory (see <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#SEC19>), re-installing from
scratch, and then looking at the file.
	Igor
--