Re: cygwin.com unavailable from blueyonder/telewest uk

On 29 Jul 2003, Matt Fairtlough wrote:

> I'm fresh to this list so please excuse if this is a common kind of
> question.
>
> I can't get to cygwin.com from my home PC.  I wondered if this is
> because of problems with my telewest/blueyonder ISP; looking at the site
> from another ISP I don't see any problems.  Whatever:

I use both Blueyonder and Freeserve and have no problems here, though this isn't
the first time someone has asked this.

I would try pinging cygwin.com or even a traceroute (ping and tracert from
cmd.exe/command.com) and see what you come up with. At a last shot, call the
support line (of Blueyonder) and ask them what's up.

> My question is: can I install cygwin without access to cygwin.com, and
> if so, how?  Here is what I've done:

Unfortunately not as you have noticed below, setup.exe requires the file
mirrors.lst, which is located on cygwin.com .

> found a mirror site and downloaded setup.exe
>
> ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/sources.redhat.com/pub/cygwin/
>
> run setup.exe
>
> It can't get the list of mirrors, presumably because it can't contact
> cygwin.com.  So setup fails.  I tried downloading setup.bz2 as well in
> the hope that setup.exe would find it before trying to download it, but
> no joy.
>
> >From the FAQ:
> >If you are downloading from the internet, setup will fail if it cannot
> >download the list of mirrors at http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html. It
> >could be that the network is too busy. Similarly for an ftp download
> >site that isn't working. Try another mirror, or try again later.
>
> I would try another mirror if I knew how.  Is there any way of
> configuring setup.exe not to use cygwin.com to get its list of mirror
> sites, or to specify exactly which mirror site should be used?
>
> any help much appreciated,

Sorry I can't help you more.

Elfyn

--