RE: Skipping the /proc filesystem

> From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf
> Of Randall R Schulz
> /proc filesystem

> > > Would it make sense to identify the inodes under /proc/registry as not
> > > regular files (type f), but, say, devices (or other such
> special files)?
> >
> >No.
>

> Chris,
>
> Just to clarify what may, due to quote trimming, appear to be a
> suggestion I made, the idea about using a special inode type for the
> /proc entries was not mine, it was David A. Cobb's.

Actually it was Shankar Unni's, but let's not split hairs...
Shankar: It's not a good idea because i) there are no unix "special" file
types that could reasonably correspond to registry values, ii) under the
/proc filesystem in linux, all kinds of things show up as regular files,
iii) setting the files to be "special" is not a good way to get find to
ignore them. An extended mechanism for accessing /proc/registry is
warranted, however, particular for writing to the registry but this is a
separate discusssion.
Randall: I really must get a better e-mail client!

Chris