RE: cygwin 1.5.0 managed mode & backward compatibility

I thought about a following idea: when looking for a file on a filesystem in
managed mode, first try an unmangled name, and if it doesn't exist, try
mangled name. I understand that the whole issue is more complex that that,
and my idea probably was considered and rejected already.

> If not, please clarify.  Also, I'm not sure I understand the
> implication
> of 'backward' in your statement, unless it was just a qualifier for
> 'windows'.

It is mostly the same, as current cygwin (1.3.xx) implementation relies on
windows names, AFAIK.

> There's no reason that Windows applications can't work with
> the managed
> named files of course.  At least, no reason AFAICS.

The potential problem is in mixed environments. For example, we have a
compilation scripts that run on cygwin and use cygwin make utility, but the
compiler itself is a non-cygwin application. In such situation all scripts
and makefiles need to be modified to use cygpath utility extensively. We
also use non-cygwin editors to edit the sources. Of course, use of managed
mode is not required in this situation, but it still would be nice to be
able to work with managed mode and still be able to access files with
non-cygwin applications.