Re: cygwin 1.5.0 managed mode & backward compatibility

Pavel Rozenboim wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Faylor [mailto:cgf-idd@cygwin.com]
Sent: Wed, July 16, 2003 6:07 PM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: cygwin 1.5.0 managed mode & backward compatibility

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 01:48:28PM +0200, Pavel Rozenboim wrote:

Hi,

I installed cygwin 1.5.0 and remounted all cygwin

directories (/,/usr/bin,

/usr/lib) in managed mode. Now I can't access files that

have a capital

letters that were created before upgrade to 1.5.0.

*exactly*

Don't do that. Do not use managed mode on your old directories. It is
called "managed" for a reason. Cygwin wants to manage all file creations.
So, the only way to use it is to create an empty directory, mount it
as managed, and then populate it with files.

Do you have any plans to provide backward/windows compatibility for managed
mode?

Perhaps I'm being simplistic but I can't see how Windows compatibility
could be added in terms of it displaying the unmanaged names and
understanding which name maps where.  I assume that's what you meant.
If not, please clarify.  Also, I'm not sure I understand the implication
of 'backward' in your statement, unless it was just a qualifier for
'windows'.

There's no reason that Windows applications can't work with the managed
named files of course.  At least, no reason AFAICS.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 838 Washington Street (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746