Re: Installing Cygwin Under W2k

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Julian Gardner wrote:

> I have some trouble installing Cygwin under W2k.
>
> If I install it under W2k as a standalone workstation or on a fresh
> workstation not joined to a domain, all is OK.
>
> But, if I try to install Cygwin on a workstation already in service and
> joined to a domain (also W2k server) I cannot get it to install correctly or
> run.
>
> I am assuming it is something to do with the W2K server changing the local
> domain name for the W2K workstation but I need to know how to fix it.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Joolz

First and foremost, you should have attached the output of "cygcheck -svr"
from a non-working machine as an uncompressed non-inline text attachment
(as per <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>).

Without that information, all I can do is venture a guess, which is that
you most likely log in as a domain user, and mkpasswd doesn't pick up the
correct groups.  Try "mkpasswd -d -u YourUser YourDomain >> /etc/passwd"
and "mkgroup -d YourDomain >> /etc/group".
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu