Re: development under 1.5.0 ?s

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Brian Ford wrote:
>
> > Could Corinna, or someone else knowledgeable, help me clear up some
> > issues with respect to development under 1.5.0?  If I should just
> > wait for the (forth coming?) posting to cygwin-apps, just say so.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Is it true that I should not recompile anything under 1.5.0 unless
> > all the dlls it uses have been recompiled first under same?  If not all,
> > how do I identify the subset?
>
> Anything using a datatype that has changed size from 1.3.22 to 1.5.0 in
> its export list is unsafe.  Identifying the exact DLLs will require
> looking closely at their export lists (or asking the package maintainers).

Yeah, that's what I thought.  I was hopping we might have figured out an
easy way to do this by now, though.  Oh, well.  I'll figure it out myself.

One reason I ask is that I am the unofficial lesstif maintainer, and I
need to figure out when it is safe to build the new lesstif libs.

> > So, 1.5.0 headers are not safe for development, except for dll package
> > maintainers recompiling for the above purpose, and for those carefully
> > checking from the bottom up?
>
> The rule of thumb is: if you're using a DLL, beware.  Either that, or
> recompile the DLL.

See above.

> > Is it safe to use 1.3.22 headers with a 1.5.0 dll (I think so)?  Obviously
> > the converse is not true.
>
> Your statement isn't either.  All the structure sizes/offsets would have
> changed, so you can't use older headers with the newer DLL.

I don't think that's really true.  If so, then all the old 1.3.22 apps
wouldn't work with 1.5.0.  Wasn't that what Corinna so carefully
engineered?

> > A comprehensive posting about the rules would be greatly beneficial to
> > those of us who develop using Cygwin.
> > --
> > Brian Ford
>
> Basically, until new experimental packages come out, it's better to either
> rebuild the DLLs yourself, or to use static libs.  Oh, and code compiled
> with 1.5.0 will most likely not run under anything older.
> 	Igor

I understood that.  Thanks.

--
Brian Ford