Re: Performance problem

OK, guys,
I understand what Andre is saying, but he said cygwin is offering an opportunity to use a OpenGL package different from the X11 one.
In fact I am trying to use cygwin to avoid havy porting effort. Obviousely OpenGL on cygwin is slow and I'll forget about cygwin if I have to rewrite the application...
Anyways, thanks for the help
Vlad
Larry Hall wrote:

Vladimir,

I think you're a little too fixated on the portability aspects such that
you're not really processing what Andre is saying.  If you want
absolute minimal porting changes, the route you took is the proper one,
but you will suffer extreme performance degradation due to the fact that
all of the processing for GL will happen in software.  If this isn't
acceptable to you, then you do need to do more porting so that you're
application works with Windows rather than X.  For that, you can go 100%
native Windows with your entire application or you can use the OpenGL
package in Cygwin so that you only need to port the GL portion.  There is
no libGL with Windows implementation of GL or in the OpenGL package that
comes with Cygwin so I wouldn't waste any time trying to figure out why
you can't find one outside of the X package.

HTH,

Larry

Vladimir Baltchev wrote:

In fact you have 3 gl.h in cygwin but only one library - libGL, and it's the X11 one...

Vladimir Baltchev <vbaltch at orthosoft dot ca> wrote:

The combination OpenGL X11 works fine on Unix.

That's because it is hardware accelerated on Unix.

   We are trying to use cygwin to port our applications on Windows. The
   cygwin's OpenGL gives us the dependency on the X11 cygwin simulation
   on Windows which is slow, I gess...

They are 2 OpenGL implementation for Cygwin:

A slow one for X11: everything is rendered in software.

A fast one for native Windows apps. The OpenGL package enables you to use it. It uses hardware acceleration if available.

André Bleau, Cygwin's OpenGL package maintainer.

Vladimir Baltchev
Senior Software Developer @ Orthosoft R&D Inc
Tel (514) 861-1837 ext 230
Email: Vladimir.Baltchev@orthosoft.ca