Re: error running cygcheck 1.32

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Kevin Van Workum wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> > > Running "id" prints:
> > > uid=1003(vanw) gid=513(None) groups=513(None),544(Administrators),545(Users)
> > >
> > > Running "CYGWIN=nontsec id" prints:
> > > uid=1003(vanw) gid=513(None) groups=513(None)
> >
> > Well, this shows that you can run "id" with no crashes...
> >
> > > I'm not sure what to look for in the strace output. Below is the
> > > last few lines and attached is the entire output of "strace cygcheck -s".
> > > [snip]
> > > Kevin Van Workum, PhD
> >
> > The included strace lines look like a normal termination sequence...
> > However, the strace output you've attached says
> >
> >    Program name: c:\cygwin\bin\id.exe (2476)
> >
> > at the top, which means you ran "id", not "cygcheck -s" under strace.
> > The idea was to try to get "cygcheck -s" to crash under strace, and see
> > what the last action before the crash would be.
>
> Yeah, I noticed that too, but I really did run "strace /usr/bin/cygcheck
> -s".

Oops, I'm sorry, my bad.  Cygcheck is not a Cygwin program, so it won't
show up under strace...  So, what this tells us is that cygcheck runs just
fine under strace.

> > Could you also run "cygcheck -s" under gdb and see if it crashes?  If it
> > does, try to get a backtrace.
> >       Igor
>
> After running "cygcheck -s" under gdb, it exited normally. I then realized
> that the problem is with my terminal under X.  Running "cygcheck
> -s" from a non-X terminal works (rxvt). Does that sound plausible? Maybe
> there's a problem with X?
>
> Anyways, thanks for the help.
> Kevin.

Hmm...  Could you try running cygcheck from an rxvt in X mode (just set
DISPLAY before running rxvt), just to keep as many things fixed as
possible?  If that produces a problem, we know there's something wrong
with X.  If not, what terminal do you use?  What's your X server?  FWIW, I
run cygcheck from xterms under Exceed with not problems.

My first suspect would be the console allocation code (cygcheck will not
understand Cygwin ptys and will try to allocate a new console window when
running from X, but that should also happen in rxvt).  That's been
modified recently, IIRC, so it would help if you actually attached the
full output of "cygcheck -svr", so that we know at least which version of
the Cygwin DLL you have.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/