Re: help running tftpd under winXP

Ok here's what I had to do to get the tftp daemon running.

I want to serve files from /tftpboot so I added that bit to the line in
inetd.conf. Then I had to install inetd as a service and start it. I had to
look at inetd source to find the -i option to install it as a service. There's
also a -r option to remove it as well. Installing as a service could have
probably been done with /usr/bin/cygrunsrv

Anyway here's my transcript:

$ grep tftp /etc/inetd.conf
tftp  dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/in.tftpd in.tftpd /tftpboot

$ /usr/sbin/inetd.exe -i

$ net start inetd
The CYGWIN inetd service is starting.
The CYGWIN inetd service was started successfully.

Now for a quick test - get a file:

$ pwd
/tmp

$ cat /tftpboot/testfile.txt
Mostly empty test file

$ tftp localhost
tftp> get testfile.txt
Received 24 bytes in 0.3 seconds
tftp> quit

$ cat testfile.txt
Mostly empty test file

When I first tried to test this I made the mistake of being in the /tftpboot
directory and tftp'ing a file onto itself. It ended up wiping out the original
and replacing it with a zero byte file of the same name...

Raj