Network shares under ssh: some can, some can't

I noticed some discussion on the list a while back, where people
reported that if they logged in remotely to their Windows PC via
slogin, they didn't have access to their network shares.

I'd never worried too much about this, since I always just manually
mapped the drives.  Today I also modified our local
/etc/profile.d/cisra.sh to automatically do this for you, since drives
you normally map do show up (as "Unavailable") in a "net use".

For me, it worked well.  For someone else, it doesn't.

Me:

    : [luke@nevin] .../luke; slogin doyle
    luke@doyle's password:
    Last login: Fri Jun 27 10:10:13 2003 from nevin.research.canon.com.au
    Fanfare!!!
    You are successfully logged in to this server!!!
    Logged in via ssh: now restoring any network connections
    The command completed successfully.

    The command completed successfully.

    The command completed successfully.

    The command completed successfully.

    The command completed successfully.

    Setting OFFICE_PATH (if MS Office is installed) ...
    /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office10/
    Running .profile
    Setting up for bash
    Setting up GNU environment
    Setting up for CVS
    Setting up Visual C vars

Other person:

    linn> ssh riada
    Warning: Remote host denied X11 forwarding.
    Last login: Fri Jun 27 09:35:30 2003 from linn.research.canon.com.au
    Fanfare!!!
    You are successfully logged in to this server!!!
    Logged in via ssh: now restoring any network connections
    Enter the user name for 'samba': System error 1223 has occurred.

    The operation was canceled by the user.

    The password is invalid for \\samba\install\win32.

    Enter the user name for 'Samba': System error 1223 has occurred.

    The operation was canceled by the user.

    The password is invalid for \\Samba\rmills.

    Enter the user name for 'handel': System error 1223 has occurred.

    The operation was canceled by the user.

    The password is invalid for \\handel\d.

    -bash: office_path: No such file or directory
    Running .profile
    Setting up for bash
    RIADA>

It doesn't matter whether I'm logged in on my PC doyle at the console
too, or not.  I can do "net use X: '\\handel\d'" and have it work
correctly in either case.

Could it be because I have PowerUser/Admin privileges on my PC?

luke

PS:

For your enjoyment, here are the local profile mods to auto map
(for some people!) their normal network shares:

#
# When logged in via ssh, normally mapped drives are listed as Unavailable,
# so build a "net use ?: path" command for each of them.
# This doesn't work if done as an eval or a . for some reason, it has
# to be written into a separate script and executed.
#
if [ ! -z "$SSH_CONNECTION" ]
then
    echo "Logged in via ssh: now restoring any network connections"
    net use | \
	sed -n "s/^Unavailable[ 	]*\(.:\)[ 	]*\(.*\\\[^ ]*\)  *Microsoft Windows Network/net use \1 '\2'/p" \
	    > /tmp/net-restore$$
    sh /tmp/net-restore$$
    rm -f /tmp/net-restore$$
fi