top is gone (PLUS sshd logs)

Forgot to change the subject line....

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: cygwin Digest 20 Jun 2003 09:53:42 -0000 Issue 2902
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 06:54:15 -0400
From: Fred Ma <fma@doe.carleton.ca>
To: Carlo Florendo <carlo@astra.ph>

> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 15:28:26 +0800
> From: "Carlo Florendo" <carlo@astra.ph>
>
> Hi Fred,
>
> Try running "cygcheck -svr | grep procps" and if it gives you nothing, that means that top is not installed.  By the way, you may
> want click the "Packages" link under http://cygwin.com and try to look for the utility you're missing.  For example, you may type
> "top.exe"  (without the double-quotes, of course) at the search box.    I got these results:
>
> Found 4 matches for top.exe.
>
>  procps/procps-010801-1 Utilities for monitoring your system and processes on your system.
>  procps/procps-010801-2 Utilities for monitoring your system and processes on your system.
>  proftpd/proftpd-1.2.9rc1-2 A flexible, stable and highly-configurable FTP Server
>  proftpd/proftpd-20030513-2 A flexible, stable and highly-configurable FTP Server
>
> It appears to me that top is not gone. It seems that it was not installed in the first place.  And FYI, you wouldn't find any hints
> by reading the bash man page since the top is a different package from bash.
>
> > What path is top suppose to be in?
> It's supposed to be in /bin (if you installed it).
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Carlo
> -----
> Carlo Florendo
> Astra Philippines., Inc.

Carlo,

Thanks for the pointer to the package search.
The cygcheck comes up with procps, but that's
only because I installed it.  You may be right,
perhaps the package wasn't there before.  It
was a combination of coincidences (misbehaving
xterm, firewall warning of someone wanting to
connect to sshd) that made me suspect something
was wrong.  I'm going to catch a few snores
and take another look at those event logs.

Fred
--
Fred Ma, fma@doe.carleton.ca
Carleton University, Dept. of Electronics