Re: changing bash window title

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> At 07:54 2003-06-17, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Sanjay Goel wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > the bash window has title Cygwin by default .. whenever I do a telnet or
> > > lynx .. it changes the title .. how do I restore it again or change it to
> > > something custom ..
> > > TIA
> > > Sanjay
> >
> >Sanjay,
> >
> >The default .bashrc has a commented out function "settitle()".  Just
> >uncomment that line, restart bash, and you'll be able to run "settitle
> >Your Title" (no quotes necessary).  The function works for the console
> >window, xterm, and rxvt.
> >
> >If your .bashrc doesn't have that function, look in /etc/skel/.bashrc, or
> >search this list for "settitle".  Note the control characters.
> >     Igor
>

> Igor,
>
> Where do the contents of /etc/skel originate? I install everything
> available via Setup.exe, and my /etc/skel contains only ".bash_profile"
> which contains only this:
>
> -==-
> # ~/.bash_profile: executed by bash for login shells.
>
> if [ -e /etc/bash.bashrc ] ; then
>    source /etc/bash.bashrc
> fi
>
> if [ -e ~/.bashrc ] ; then
>    source ~/.bashrc
> fi
> -==-
>
> /etc/bash.bashrc contains only a comment and two blank lines.
>
> Randall Schulz

Randall,

The /etc/skel files are contained in the base-files package.
I recall a discussion back in May (a search produced
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-05/msg00212.html> and its follow-ups) to
add sample .bashrc and .inputrc to the base-files package, but I didn't
realize that John hasn't done that yet.  Sorry for the misinformation.

In the meantime, an archives search for "settitle" does yield quite a few
relevant matches.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/