Re: Distributed cygwin DLL's (fwd)

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 09:52:25PM +0100, Elfyn McBratney wrote:
>Before I reply (privately) the bellow is not sufficient, is it?

>> that on this page (<http://www.cs.hut.fi/Research/Dynamics/software.html>) you
>> have a link where a user can download a zip file named 'cygwin-dll.zip', which
>> contains, among other files, the Cygwin library (cygwin1.dll). You are also
>> distributing Cygwin shared libraries for Ncurses and GNU Readline, and as far as
>> I could tell, no sources to accompany those binaries.
>>
>> Are you aware that the GPL requires that you make such sources available?
>
>Yes. The source code is publicly available on a number sites. The
>binaries are built using unmodified versions of the source code
>provided by the copyright holder(s). AFAIK the GPL requires that
>you make the source available upon request. If someone requests the
>source code I will be happy to give a pointer to the source code on
>another site, place it on a server on my own for downloading, send
>it by email or burn it on a CD and snailmail the CD.

Feel free to forward this to him:

As long as you can provide the exact source code required to regenerate the
DLL that you are providing and you advertise the fact that you will make
it available on request, that should be fine.  Pointing elsewhere is not
acceptable unless you have made an arrangement with another site to provide
the sources for your binaries.  We do not offer this service since we only
keep the source code for the last couple of releases around.

We see these types of issues all of the time.  We've asked Richard
Stallman about this issue and he pointed us to the FSF GPL FAQ,
specifically:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#SourceAndBinaryOnDifferentSites

cgf