Re: latest version of vi messes up bash for me

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Shankar Unni wrote:

Larry Hall wrote:

> Also, it would be useful to know if vim works for you if you
 > login to Windows and use cygwin.bat instead.

* If I run cygwin.bat directly from Start/Run..., it works fine. (I mean
I can start vim, exit, and echo is OK).  (I don't have CYGWIN or TERM
set in the native Windows system or user environment)

* If I start a "CMD" shell, do "set CYGWIN=tty" and then start bash, and
from within bash, run vim, again it's OK (by above defn.)

* However, if I start CMD, and within it, directly run as one command
"env CYGWIN=tty bash", then when I exit vim, bash's echo is turned off.

I suspect this last emulates the setup when login forks off bash (but
sorry, pure wild-assed guess here).

Cygcheck output attached.

Shankar,

The bash man page says

  An interactive shell is one started without  non-option  arguments  and
  without  the  -c  option  whose standard input and output are both con-
  nected to terminals (as determined by isatty(3)), or one  started  with
  the  -i  option.   PS1 is set and $- includes i if bash is interactive,
  allowing a shell script or a startup file to test this state.

I suspect that your bash may be getting confused about whether it's
running interactively.  Try printing $- from inside bash.  Also try giving
the '-i' option to bash and see if it helps.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
     |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu