Re: non network install

B Thomas wrote:

<snip>

Now let me give you a stronger reason why I think distributing software
ONLY by network installs is a very bad idea.

Hm, what makes you think that Cygwin can only be distributed via network
installs?  You yourself noted that all the packages were available for
download via FTP.  Just because you couldn't find the one piece of
information you needed to make this work for you doesn't mean that the
option doesn't exist.

If you were a average
working man in almost any other country other than america then as you
may check for your self a high speed internet would be quite a pinch on
your monthly salary. To many it would not even be affordable. So if you
think about this a while, making network install the only option is in very bad taste. I mention this since you specifically asked . Now if you do see my point is sincere and a valid one, you should be wondering why is
there so little documentation on the cygwin site on how to do this or
why is it almost impossible to find a reasonably priced CD rom
distribution being sold by anyone ?. What kind of a marketing strategy do
you think RedHat had here when they specifically took over cygwin from
the earstwhile Cygnus solutions?

It does sound like a sinister plot.  But only because you're making it
into one.  Red Hat bought Cygnus Solutions.  That has no bearing on the
free software Cygwin project.  While it's true that no corporation is
selling Cygwin on a CD AFAIK, that doesn't mean that someone can't.
Perhaps if you asked the list for such an offering, someone here would've
been willing to provide such a CD for you.

If  anyone does know of such a CD Rom distribution of the Cywin
product family (both source and binary) I would very happly buy one so
that I could help many more people install it on their computers, in
future, with greater ease. In the absence of such an alternative I was
looking for how to build a CD Rom distribution myself but found hardly
any information!!

Sounds like you're quite worked up about this.  That's too bad.  True,
there is not page on the Cygwin site that gives you step-by-step
instructions on how to make a Cygwin CD.  But others have asked before on
this email list and the details of the process have been covered.  You
could've looked there.  And actually, it's not that difficult.  Really,
I expect you have it right now.  You just missed the rather arcane fact
that things don't work unless you put it all in a subdirectory of the CD.
C'est la vie.

Holliston, MA 01746