Re: Question regarding setup, upset and post install scripts

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Alan Miles wrote:

> All,
>
> I am running cygwin at work and at home. As I need to "customize" cygwin for
> each environment (i.e., one for work, one for home)
> I found a way to build "custom" packages, that I would like to integrate
> into my setup.
>
> Such customizations include:
>
> - For ** my ** environments - remove the space in the "passwd" files for a
> user name (I have posted messages on this list in the past regarding a more
> primitive version)
> - Adding Win32 CPAN support to perl (I have posted messages on this list in
> the past regarding patches)
> - I ** NEEDED ** a "-u" flag to jar (the cygwin versions says it is
> unsupported), so build a "wrapper" script to a "Windows" version (uses
> cygpath to do cygwin/Windows file name conversions) etc.
>
> To integrate these into my setup, I found information on this list regarding
> "upset", setup.hints etc.
>
> I have somewhat successfully got the setup.ini file working.
>
> However, my postinstall script is malfunctioning and I am trying to figure
> out how to debug it. When I run it ** AFTER ** cygwin has installed (not
> using my integration) the script works fine.
>
> How can I capture the output to a log file (via the setup) mechanism? I
> found these messages, but they haven't helped me too much. Any ideas?
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2002-10/msg00955.html
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2003-04/msg00379.html

Alan,

The first one is outdated, but the second should still be relevant.  The
newer versions of setup.exe (including the one on the Cygwin homepage --
<http://cygwin.com/setup.exe>) should save the output of postinstall
scripts into /var/log/setup.log.full (both stdout and stderr).  Note that
if the script outputs nothing and commands simply return non-zero exit
codes, this fact won't be captured in setup.log.full, so you'll have to
at least set the '-x' flag.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/