Re: rsync and cygwin paths

At 10:44 2003-06-04, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> At 10:06 2003-06-04, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Lapo Luchini wrote:

> > > http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#CYGPATH
> > >
> > > NEWARGS=""
> > > for arg in $@ ;
> > > do
> > >   if [ -e "${arg}" ]; then
> > >     NEWARGS="${NEWARGS} `cygpath -p -w "$arg"`"
> > >   else
> > >     NEWARGS="${NEWARGS} $arg"
> > >   fi
> > > done
> >
> >Lapo,
> >
> >Note that the above won't work correctly if the program is expected to
> >create the file with a given name...  IMO, there is no way of writing a
> >generic wrapper script without knowing anything about program parameters.
> >     Igor
>

> Igor,
>
> Strictly speaking, that's true. Certainly Lapo's script fragment is too
> simple-minded to work in any kind of general setting.
>
> However for many purposes it's feasible to write some simple-minded
> heuristics that make the determination about when and how to apply
> "cygpath." I currently use a BASH script that uses a simple "case"
> statement to paper over the Cygwin / Windows interface for invoking the
> Java 2 SDK tools. The case statement's glob patterns detect whether any
> given argument is (probably) a file name or PATH-like entity and then
> applies cygpath as necessary. It can be fooled, of course, but in
> practice it works fine for me.
>
> Randall Schulz

Randall,

I agree, Java is not too hard.  I believe I've posted the wrapper script
that I used at one point or another.  Certainly the parameters to Java
itself can be recognized exactly.  It's also easy enough to decide that
anything in the program arguments with a '/' in it is a filename, and
convert it accordingly.  WFM (tm).
I was talking about the general case, for an unknown Win32 application.
    Igor

Igor,

While I mostly only use my wrapper for Java, there's no specific knowledge of the Java SDK tools built into it (there are 26 of them!). The only time I've seen it mess up is when I use an argument to "javadoc" with the English construct "and / or" (or, more likely, the computer term "I/O"), the forward slash gets changed to a backslash.

This is pretty much the only kind of problem you're likely to get into with a generic approach. Things that can be construed as Cygwin file names but are not get inappropriately transformed, of course. One can always refine the pattern detection in the wrapper script if necessary.

WFM? Of course. What else matters??

Randall Schulz