No output to console but to Xfree

Hello,

I already searched the list archieve and the web for the following
problem, which seems to be new...

I am trying to compile and run on cygwin a program which was developed
under linux. The program is really huge.
It compiles and runs fairly good after cygwin-xfree has been started and
puts its output there (in an xterm) on stdout as requested.

It doesn't produces any output on pure console. (bash)

It produces output when run under console with gdb.

It produces output when the output is piped to less
programm arguments | less

Think that output is allways directed to stdout.
I tried to empty all main, only leavin a printf("Hello World");
in main with the same results...

Has anybody ever encountered such a problem?
Any hints welcome...

Thanks for reading so far :-)
Doris