Re: Possible problem with ctags

[posted and mailed to Simon Liddington <simon.liddington@tait.co.nz>]

Robert Mecklenburg <mecklen@cimsoft.com> wrote in
news:16072.19047.756000.703547@gargle.gargle.HOWL:

> I'm getting a strange error when I run ctags:
>
>   5 osaka:cimsoft$ /bin/ctags -e --recurse>
>  ctags: cannot open temporary file : No such file or directo> ry
>  [Exi> t 1]
>
> If I run this under strace I get:

[snip]

> My conclusion: Maybe the most recent release of ctags has a
> compiled-in default directory of .../liddins/... and that this
> directory is used if the TMPDIR environment variable is otherwise
> undefined.
>
> Comments?

I can confirm this discovery.  In fact, that is why I just started up
news, to report the problem.  It is present with this version:

Exuberant Ctags 5.5, Copyright (C) 1996-2003 Darren Hiebert
  Compiled: Apr 14 2003, 10:16:41
  Addresses: <dhiebert@users.sourceforge.net>,
      http://ctags.sourceforge.net
  Optional compiled features: +wildcards, +regex, +internal-sort

(By the way, although this version announces itself as 5.5, it is really
5.5.3 according to /setup.exe.)

The full compiled-in directory it is trying to use, as found by both
FileMon and strings, is:

/mnt/c/DOCUME~1/liddins/LOCALS~1/Temp

The obvious workaround is "export TMPDIR=$TMP"