Re: Getting "cleartool" prompts to work in Cygwin

Karr, David wrote:

Uname -a: CYGWIN_NT-5.1 WG44KA2G55H 1.3.22(0.78/3/2) 2003-03-18 09:20
i686 unknown unknown Cygwin

The "cleartool" application (part of ClearCase) will often present
question prompts in normal operation, to confirm certain operations.
When I execute these commands in a DOS box, it works fine.

However, when I execute this in a Bash shell in RXVT, at the point
where it would issue the prompt, it just sits there doing nothing.  If I
then press Return, it immediately emits the prompt message, and then
takes that as my response.  If instead of pressing Return, I first type
an expected response and press Return, then it takes that as my
response, which is an acceptable workaround (if I know what the prompt
says).

If this Bash shell is inside XEmacs, however, when I press Return at the
invisible prompt, it takes my response and then kills the Bash shell
it's running in. :(

Is there a strategy I can use to get it to work the same way it does in
a DOS box, printing the entire prompt message, and exiting normally?

No. The problem is that cleartool is written for Windows (i.e. DOS or cmd) which does not use ptys. rxvt, and apparently XEmacs both use ptys. The only solution is to get Rational to fix cleartool (or to use a DOS box - or to specify all parameters on the command line so that there is no prompting).