ls -l /c/pagefile.sys - not found

Why can't I see the size or any information about my pagefile when under
cygwin?

To find out the size I have to use explorer or cmd.exe+dir to find
out the size of my pagefile, -- because ls -l just says
pagefile.sys can't be found.  Always thought that a bit weird --
whenever I do anything that scans for all files including in the root
dir, I get the 'pagefile.sys' messages not found - like if I do a
ls -l /cygdrive/c -- I'll get the error message and no listing or entry
for pagefile.sys even though it is there.

(WinXP1)
-linda