Re: cygipc (and PostgreSQL) XP problem resolved!

Chuck,

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 11:39:33PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Jason Tishler wrote:
> >On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 08:31:07PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >>I think this needs to be a runtime function, not a compiletime
> >>macro.
> >
> >Given Igor's validation, improvements, and corrections of/to my
> >patch, do you still want a runtime function approach?  Or, is the
> >(ugly and possibly performance affecting) macro approach OK?
>
> Nope -- I'm an idiot.

Nope -- you are *not* an idiot.  IMO, macros are ugly and can be hard to
read.  Your initial interpretation is quite understandable.

> You and Igor are correct.

See attached for take 2 -- it fixes the issues raised by Igor:

    1. handle versions with a minor number of 0 (e.g., 6.0)
    2. check for NT explicitly (i.e, high-order bit)
    3. call GetVersion() only once
    4. remove trailing backspace

Same ChangeLog as before but please add Igor's name.  In this way, he
can feel some of the pain (i.e., private email) too. :,)

Note that issue 1 is accomplished by treating 2000 and up (instead of XP
and up) the same which is fine from both empirical evidence and the
MSDN:

    The "Local", "Global" and "Session" prefixes are reserved for system
    use and should not be used as names for kernel objects. These
    keywords are case sensitive. On Windows 2000 without Terminal
    Services, these keywords are ignored. On earlier versions of the
    system, the functions for creating or opening these objects fail if
    you specify a name containing the backslash character (\).

Thanks,
Jason