Re: cygipc (and PostgreSQL) XP problem resolved!

Dario Alcocer wrote:
On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 01:18:06PM -0400, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc.) wrote:

Dario Alcocer wrote:

For instance, the PowerTV tool chain uses GNUPro 99, which has an
ancient cygwin1.dll included. As long as I don't install the latest
Cygwin stuff, everything is ok. However, as soon as I install the
latest cygwin1.dll, the PowerTV gcc/binutils cease to function
correctly. I suspect it has something to do with the Cygwin API and/or
ABI changing, and since the Cygwin DLL filename is exactly the same, it
loads the new library instead of using the old one.

Cygwin will bump the version number for the DLL (to cygwin2.dll) when a backward incompatible change is made. If you've had problems in the past with the GNUPro toosl, you'd need to consult the provider of those tools. That's not a product of this project so this site doesn't support it. I can't speak to whether an ABI incompatible change has been made w.r.t. the version of the Cygwin DLL that was distributed with that product.

Well, I'll try to notify PowerTV. However, you can probably see where
this might lead: PowerTV will say that they didn't write the toolkit,
they just license it from Red Hat, which in turn will say they can't
support you, you'll need a service contract.

Anyway, I'll get the balling rolling at work so we can start contacting
PowerTV and Red Hat.

They way I've gotten around this issue is to binary edit the PowerTV
tool chain and change references to the cygwin1.dll to refer to
cygwin0.dll; this is a very ugly hack, and I don't recommend it. But it
does serve to highlight the kinds of problems people might be running
into in the field.

If people have run into this kind of problem using the Cygwin distribution, it needs to be reported. I haven't seen anything on this list that would indicate that's the case though.

Actually, I think two other folks have reported issues that might be
related to this. However, IIRC they were told that this list doesn't
provide free support for the GNUPro 99 tools, and that they had to
purchase a support contract, which is entirely reasonable IMO.

I think it's fair to say, however, that if some enterprising soul can track down the source of the problem, provide a small test case and/or a patch, this list is interested in that.

Holliston, MA 01746