Re: GCC for Windows help

Hi Larry,

Rebase will not help because the relocations are gone so irregardless of
what the base address is if I cannot get that address the load will fail
instead of just loading somewhere else and fixing up the addresses.

Thx,

Garfield A. Lewis
<mailto:galewis@ca.ibm.com>
DB2 UDB Development                    (905) 413-3438  T/L: 969-3438
Intranet
<http://w3.torolab.ibm.com/~garfield/garfield.html>
External E-mail
<mailto:galewis@rogers.com>
IBM SWS Toronto Laboratory

|         |           "Larry Hall (RFK |
|         |           Partners, Inc.)" |
|         |           <lhall@rfk.com>  |
|         |           05/08/2003 05:32 |
|         |           lhall            |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       Garfield Lewis/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA                                                                            |
  |       cc:       cygwin@cygwin.com                                                                                           |
  |       Subject:  Re: GCC for Windows help                                                                                    |
  |                                                                                                                             |
  |                                                                                                                             |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Garfield Lewis wrote:

<snip>

> On 8 May 2003 at 14:39, "Garfield Lewis" <galewis@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
>
>>Yes, been there done that... The problem is not building the dll it's
>>running it. Since their linker strips the relocations out of the dll then
>>if the dll is loaded by any proces that happens to not have the preferred
>>address free then the dll will not load because cannot fixup the address
>>within the dll. It is a stupid default for Windows but seems to be the
>
> case
>
>>here. The --emit-relocs option seems to be what I need, however, so far
>
> all
>
>>my info indicates that this only works for ELF binaries. Using the
>>---enable-auto-image-base is a workaround for now because it chooses an
>>address other than 0x10000000 as the preferred load address but it to
>
> will
>
>>fail if the above happens, however less likely.

Sounds like something that the rebase package could help you with...

Holliston, MA 01746