Re: /proc/cpuinfo

Diego,

At 16:56 2003-05-06, Diego Biurrun wrote:
Hello!

The MPlayer documentation maintainer with shameless requests again ;-)

I have a few questions about /proc/cpuinfo.

On my machine I get the following output under Cygwin:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
type            : primary processor
cpu family      : 5
model           : 13
model name      : AMD-K6(tm)-III Processor
stepping        : 0
brand id        : 0
cpu count       : 0
apic id         : 0
cpu MHz         : 250
fpu             : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 pge mmx

which differs a bit from the output under Linux:

processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 5
model : 13
model name : AMD-K6(tm)-III Processor
stepping : 0
cpu MHz : 501.121
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 pge mmx syscall 3dnowext 3dnow k6_mtrr
bogomips : 999.42

The 250MHz under Cygwin are probably a bug, I have a 500MHz CPU.

Perhaps the problem has to do with the fact you have an AMD processor. My Pentium 4 reports precisely the correct (over-clocked) value for cpu MHz. The model name string reports the nominal processor speed.

The interesting field is flags, which we use in our configure script to check for processor capabilities and later optimize for the ones we find. Cygwin detects/displays less flags than Linux:

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 pge mmx
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 pge mmx syscall 3dnowext 3dnow k6_mtrr

I don't know how to interpret these, but perhaps you can ascertain the accuracy of what it reports on my system. It's a Pentium 4 Northwood mPGA-478, 0.13 micron design, 133 MHz / 533 MHz manufactured in July 2002. Cygwin's /proc/cpuinfo reports these flags:

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clfl dtes acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss htt tmi

I attached the (WinZip-compressed) HTML output produced by the CPU-z 1.17 (<http://www.cpuid.com/>) for this processor.

Perhaps this will help you or someone to ascertain whether the /proc/cpuinfo report is consistent with my processor's true nature. (For what it might be worth...)

This is a pity as I now loose 3dnow and mtrr optimizations without manual tweaking.

I know that /proc/cpuinfo is very new on Cygwin. Is the lack of some flags a bug, or is this just implemented in a different way. Any chance of supporting those flags in the future?

If somebody decides to extends /proc/cpuinfo that would be tremendously appreciated. I'm not expecting anything, of course, just hoping.

Many thanks

Diego

Randall Schulz