Re: Commercial corporate usage of Cygwin.

On Mon, 5 May 2003 newalexi@newmail.ru wrote:

> Hello.
> Sorry for inconvenience.
>
> I have a question about cygwin distribution. As I understood Cygwin is a
> freeware product and I mustn't pay anything for it. But I don't find
> anything about corporate commercial usage. I am going to use cigwin for
> software development in my firm. Should I pay for such cigwin usage?
>
> Thank you for your help.
> Aleksey

Note: <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#IANAL>.
Many people use Cygwin in a corporate environment.  However, Cygwin
comes under GPL, and that requires you to release the source to any
software you ship that is linked against the Cygwin DLL.  If you plan to
use Cygwin for internal development only, this is not your worry (but
again, IANAL).  AFAIK, Red Hat also sells a commercial license for Cygwin
that lets you not ship your sources (<http://redhat.com/software/cygwin/>).
If you are worried about complying with the licensing terms, it would
probably be best for you to get a lawyer's interpretation of the license.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II