Re: App w/excessive soft page faults

> I have an app that is generating excessive soft page faults 500-700+/sec.
> pfmon shows they happen here:
>
> SOFT: RtlTimeFieldsToTime+0x3dd : 0a7cb004
> SOFT: stricmp+0x2f6 : 0a7da3ac
>
> This pattern repeats endlessly.
>
> We probably do make a lot of time related calls, but is this page faulting
> behavior "normal"?  Any idea of how to track this back through cygwin1.dll
> and into my app?  Thanks.

First you need to compile your application with debugging symbols (the '-g'
flag to gcc/c++). Once you've done that you can start your program under gdb
like so

$ gdb /path/to/app.exe
(gdb) run [put any args here]

and you can then issue the 'bt' command to gdb to get the backtrace, or if
you suspect the problem is occurring inside the (Cygwin) DLL you can do

(gdb) dll cygwin1
(gdb) thread 1
(gdb) bt

this... I may have some of the above wrong (?).

Elfyn