Re: Cygwin survey: Next vim version with perl support?

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 05:48:47AM -0400, David T-G wrote:

Corinna, et al --

...and then Corinna Vinschen said...
%
% === cut here ===
% [ ] Yes, please add perl support to the next Cygwin vim release.
% [x] No, go away with that.
% [ ] What's vim?
% === cut here ===

You left out the:

[ ] What's perl?

:-)

I'm with Vince, though... Two vim packages would be a fine and dandy way to approach it. I'd love to see it; I just don't think it should be the only vim option.

Well... when writing my survey mail I was actually mulling over an additional sentence like "Note that I'll maintain only one package." but dropped it for the final mail. I should have known better.

The problem with vim is the number of configure options which do make different sense for different people. What should I do?

- pure vim
- perl support
- python support
- tcl support
- ruby support
- perl and python but not tcl
- gvim with win32 interface (actually unsupported under Cygwin)
- gvim with X interface
- Which X interface, gtk, gnome, motif, athena?
- ...

See what I mean? You'd never hit the right combination. I've just checked the vim release on my Linux box and found out that it's also not built with any of the interpreter language support. Of course I'm using my own handcrafted build of vim...

I think what's left out is what exactly does this Perl support do? Ideally I would think that vim should support all these things, IFF they are present. IOW if Perl is installed then the Perl support in vim just works, if Perl is not installed it does nothing. Same with python, tcl, etc. I don't know if that is doable or not as I don't know what form this "Perl support" is. One could argue understanding Perl syntax and coloring the file is Perl support but I think this is more than that but not sure what it is.

However I think the option should be available to the user, perhaps as subpackages of vim. I also think the option for a GUI interface should be just that, an option, much like rxvt will put up an X window if -display is given (and an X server is running).