Re: sshd and other daemons

Pierre --

...and then Pierre A. Humblet said...
%
% Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
%
% > On Win98 the situation is different.  First off, there is no way to run a
% > service (yet, there has been some discussion, though).  So you'll have to
% > add sshd to the startup sequence, running as one of the users on the
% > machine (probably the one who's logged in).  You will also need to add a
% > password to /etc/passwd using 'crypt' (in the "crypt" package).  Searching
% > this list should give you some pointers on setting this up.
%
% FWIW, on Win98 I start all my services from a script launched by
% the "Scheduled Task" control panel, with schedule "At System Startup".

Ahhh...  That makes excellent sense.

% That way everything (re)starts automatically, e.g. after a power failure.
% Note that by default scheduled tasks stop after 72 hours...

Hmmm...  I should probably change that :-)

%
% > FYI, many people have set up and are happily running sshd, at least on
% > NT/2k/XP systems.
%
% And on Win98/ME

Yay!  That's where I need to be.  Thanks!

%
% Pierre

HAND

:-D