Can mkdir here, can't mkdir there

I am having a problem creating directories, under Cygwin, in some, but not
all, places on my local hard disk (NTFS).

To explain, here's a 2-part example:

Example 1:
dfriedmanlt:/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/dfriedman/My Documents>
mkdir Foodir1
(directory gets created, no problem)

Example 2:
dfriedmanlt:/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/dfriedman/My Documents> cd
DirAlreadyThere
dfriedmanlt:/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/dfriedman/My
Documents/DirAlreadyThere> mkdir NewDir1
mkdir: cannot create directory `NewDir1': Permission denied

Note: If I try, via the Windows Explorer, to make the directory as
attempted in Example 2, I have success.
[The reason I want to achieve this from the command line is for an rsync
script.]

So, what's going on here?  I had thought that, perhaps the problem is a
long path (for illustration, I abbreviated the directory structure in
Example 2).

Any thoughts explaining, checking, diagnosing, or fixing this?

Thanks *very* much,
--daniel