Re: Fixed point arithmetic compilation

-----Original Message-----
From: ibiris at genius dot org dot br
To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:56:38 -0400
Subject: Fixed point arithmetic compilation

Greetings,

I would like to ask whether anyone knows of a way to impose fixed-point
arithmetic instead of floating point when compiling with gcc under cygwin.

My target is to profile an executable with and without floating point
arithmetic. I noted that there is a soft-float option that can be passed
targeting a 386 cpu, but during linking the linker cannot find the library
that provides the floating point arithmetic functions needed.

soft-float is not the same as fixed-point.  It's emulation of 386 floating point on a cpu without an fpu, far slower than fixed point, but far less user programming effort.

There's no built-in support for fixed point, and no point in doing so, since CPU's without floating point support aren't supported by any hardware which could run cygwin.

Tim Prince