RE: setup.exe: Woe is me!

On Sunday, April 27, 2003 11:49 AM, Robert Collins [SMTP:rbcollins at cygwin dot com] wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-04-27 at 11:13, Phil Bewig wrote:
> > I just killed setup.exe after over an hour of inactivity.  A total
> > of over 125MB of disk space has disappeared in the last few
> > hours while I have been running setup.exe, reading and
> > replying to email on the cygwin mailing list in this thread
> > using MS Outlook, and searching the cygwin mailing list
> > archives with MSIE.  When I killed setup.exe (using the
> > "cancel" button on the progress screen), I received a popup
> > message "Cannot open log file d:\/var/log/setup.log for
> > writing."  Are there any additional clues here?  What is
> > consuming disk?  And how do I get it back?
>
> my WAG:
> setup is looping: trying to create a file, failing, and trying again.
>
> Here's what I'd like you to do:
> Check your registry for cygwin mount points, both per user and per
> machine. There may be a decompressed cygcheck you can download to do
> this. If there isn't, then have a look on this list for other references
> to the mount point data. (It's not supported to make registry changes
> manually, which is why I'm *not* putting the keys in this email).
>
> If, as I suspect, you have some broken mount points, just delete the
> entire cygwin keys in both user and machine subtrees.
>
> Now, run setup again, and when you are installing, be very very sure to
> install to somewhere like "D:\cygwin", not to "D:\".
>
> If that doesn't work, then I'll brew up a log-on-the-spot version of
> setup.exe for you, which will let us see whats going on.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
> --
> GPG key available at: <http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt>.
>  << File: signature.asc >>

Hooray!

Installing in d:\cygwin ran fine, and I now have a working cygwin
system.  However, I would still prefer to have d:\ as the cygwin
root, rather than d:\cygwin.  Is there any way to arrange that?
If not, is there some reason why?  And if d:\ isn't allowed to be
the cygwin root, why did setup allow me to select it as the root?

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Phil