How to run SSHD automatically when not on NT/2K?

I have a windows ME machine that I'd like to run SSHD on.  I'd like the
daemon to launch automatically after someone logs in (probably launched
from the Startup folder?)

I've got the packages installed, and I'm able to launch it from a
bash shell, and everything seems to run fine.  Other than some
instructions for NT services and cygrunsrv, I haven't found anything
about automatically running it from 98/ME.

My first attempt was to simply create a .bat file which invoked the
sshd executable.  This results in a "Can't find CYGCRYPTO .DLL"
error.

I then had the .BAT file cd to the /bin directory, then run
..\usr\sbin\sshd.exe.  That causes a SSHD process to be invoked, but it
is unresponsive when a client contacts it.  Next I tried having the
batch file run bash, and passed in the sshd as an argument.  This had
similar results: process running, connections accepted, no data comes
from the daemon.

Finally, I tried running the daemon with -d.  This gave lots of output
in the command window, and the client was able to start talking to the
daemon.  However at the end, the login failed.  This came from the debug
log from the server:

debug1: server_input_channel_req: channel 0 request shell reply 0
debug1: session_by_channel: session 0 channel 0
debug1: session_input_channel_req: session 0 req shell
Disconnecting: fork failed: Permission denied

As opposed to this section if the server is run from a normally running
bash shell.

debug1: server_input_channel_req: channel 0 request shell reply 0
debug1: session_by_channel: session 0 channel 0
debug1: session_input_channel_req: session 0 req shell
debug1: channel 0: rfd 9 isatty

I can't tell if I'm looking for a more general method for running daemon
like programs, or if there's some SSH specific remedy.  I'd like to have
a .BAT file run at startup to get the daemon running.  If there's a
guide for doing this anywhere, I'd appreciate a pointer.  I haven't
found anything that seems to cover this in the FAQ or the man pages.

Thanks!

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham at taos dot com
Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company