Re: [newbie] how to install cygwin by version? and fix breakage?

Qwer Zxcv wrote:
> How can I install a new version of cygwin, such that
>
> * my old version remains undisturbed, and can be used
> if needed
>
> * the new version knows my old customizations (e.g.
> downloaded/
>   installed packages, mounts, profile, bash settings)
>
> ? And how do I fix what I've broken? What I mean:
>
> When installing software, I tend to be conservative. I
> install
> versions to separate directories so that I can run the
> old version if
> I don't like (or I screw up) something in the new
> version. Also, for
> cygwin, I
>
> * Download from Internet, and then Install from Local
> Directory
>
> * keep my $HOME in a separate directory (on a network
> drive)
>
> Accordingly I had d:\{download, bin}\cygwin\1.3.13-1,
> and had been
> happily using that for ~6mo. (Note that I am _not_ a
> "heavyweight"
> user: I do some bash scripting, but mostly I just run
> find, grep, etc
> from bash. My customizations are pretty minimal.) I
> noticed a problem
> with 'unzip', so I went to upgrade it, and got a
> warning that I was
> downlevel wrt setup.exe. So I got and ran the new
> setup.exe, which
> showed me I was downlevel wrt cygwin. So I
>
> * downloaded to d:\download\cygwin\1.3.22-1
>
> * installed to d:\bin\cygwin\1.3.22-1

You realize that this is kind of pointless? An update of any package, not
just cygwin, could potentialy cause a bug.

Plus, if you do find a bug, you can always roll back to an old version of
whichever package caused the problem.

>> bash: id: command not found
>> bash: /bin/grep: No such file or directory
>> bash: /bin/echo: No such file or directory
>> bash: tr: command not found
> i.e. it's got my prompt customizations, but the path
> is wrong. If I do
>
>> $ echo $PATH

/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/d/bin/cygwin/1.3.10/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/c/WINN
T/system32:/c/WINNT:/c/WINNT/System32/Wbem:/g/bin/cmvc/1.7/CMVC/EXE:.

> which is very wrong: I haven't used 1.3.10 for a long
> time (and AFAICR
> I've never run CMVC from bash, either). (But at least
> it knows my
> mounts :-) It also doesn't match the path in my
> d/bin/cygwin/1.3.22-1/etc/profile. It can't even find
> 'ls' :-(
>
> Being confused, I rebooted, JIC my windows (w2k sp2)
> had not picked up
> the windows path changes: no change.
>
> So I changed my windows path to point back to the old
> cygwin (i.e.
>

> d:\bin\cygwin\1.3.13-1\bin;d:\bin\cygwin\1.3.13-1\usr\X11R6\bin;
>
> and so on) and ran the shortcut to the old bash.
> Formerly, it worked
> flawlessly: now, it also starts up with
>
>> bash: /bin/echo: No such file or directory
>> bash: /bin/grep: No such file or directory
>
>> tlroche at tlrf204 ~
>> $
>
> and I get
>
>> $ echo $PATH

/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/d/bin/cygwin/1.3.10/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/c/WINN
T/system32:/c/WINNT:/c/WINNT/System32/Wbem:/g/bin/cmvc/1.7/CMVC/EXE:.

> So I'd like to know:
>
> 0 How can I fix one or both of my current
> configurations?

Check if echo/grep exist. Find out why your path is weird. Check your mount
table. Remove all but one of your Cygwin installs. Post cygcheck -svr output
(attached).

> 1 What's the general procedure to do
> version-preserving cygwin
>   installs?

There is no recommended procedure to install multiple versions of Cygwin.
The recommended procedure is to keep old package versions on your hard disc
and roll back to them if you need to.

> Also please note: I'd appreciate it if you could reply
> directly to me,
> as well as to the list. I'm on the digest, to avoid
> flooding my inbox,
> but I'd like to get this problem fixed ASAP, without
> waiting for the
> digest. I have some scripts I need to run, in order to
> get "real work"
> done, but for now I'm "dead in the water" :-(

Max.