Re: Cygwin & Tomcat 3.21.

Steve,

Hi. Me again.

OK. This is a good place for these questions.

Cygwin is a POSIX emulation environment for Windows, as you probably know. Part of that emulation is the use of POSIX-style path names. This is one of the places where there exist rough edges or visible seams (choose your metaphor) and to bridge the gap, a utility called "cygpath" is included in Cygwin. It performs various conversions on individual directory or file names as well as on PATH-like (including CLASSPATH) variables.

You'll probably need to use this if you want to make a stock Unix shell script work under Cygwin.

Notice the echoed CLASSPATH in your diagnostic output. The path element separators are colons. This is the Unix way. Under windows, the path element separators must be semicolons (because the Windows drive letter syntax uses the colon and that cannot be overridden or replaced). It's not clear to me where this problem originates. It's probably an error in how you set CLASSPATH in the first place.

The way I prefer to address these issues is to wrap all native (Windows-native, that is) tools I want to invoke from Cygwin in a generic wrapper that examines all the arguments and, as necessary, environment variables (*) and transforms them. The advantage of this approach is that if you have scripts that must work on both Unix (or a Unix work-alike such as Linux) and under Cygwin, you need not maintain two versions or incorporate all sorts of messy (and conditional) cygpath applications you simple set your PATH to pick up these generic Cygwin -> Windows scripts (which are all just links to the generic script).

I have developed several tools to facilitate this sort of thing. I cannot support them, but if you'd like me to heave them over the wall, just say so.

Randall Schulz