Username problem - was Re: OpenSSH problem - nd advice or pointer

...When one has tried all the obvious things, try evaluating your
assumptions!

Assumption I had made: username was being passed correctly! WRONG! I
suddenly realized that when I used ssh -l syntax I got a different
response from the server. I then found that cygwin was using Richard
instead of richard as my password. -sigh-  ...So, I changed the account on
Windows to richard, but the problem persists. I'm not sure this has
anything to do with the SSH problem itself (as described below), but I'd
sure like to get it to start using the actual username - richard - instead
of capitalizing the firs character - Richard. Make sense? Can I controll
what SSH sees via an environment variable, or some other configuration
choice on Windows? (Converting the username to have uppercase characters -
is that even possible on Linux?! -smile- ...Guess I'm about to find
out!...  -smile- )

Input would be great.

Richard

--