Re: Cygwin, XP, and copying files and folders from a CD

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 fergus at bonhard dot uklinux dot net wrote:

> Cygwin 1.3.22; Windows XP Pro :
> Permissions, attributes and writeability
>
> I copied files and folders to a Cygwin directory from a CD using commands of
> the style
>
>     cp -vr /cygdrive/e/{whatever1} /{whatever2}
>
> from within Cygwin. Attempts then to create executables within the directory
> structure /{whatever2} failed, due (I think) to the folder permissions which
> were of the form dr-xr-xr-x rather than drwxr-xr-x. In Windows language, the
> directories copied from the CD were marked +R. (So were the copied files,
> though this in itself would not frustrate the attempts to create the
> executables.)
>
> Question 1 : Presuming this to be a common enough problem in XP, is there a
> further switch that can be attached to a cp instruction to strip the +R
> attribute from files and directories copied from a CD? Or, instead of cp,
> can anybody with experience recommend using the command install?
>
> Question 2 : I decided to delete Cygwin from the machine entirely by (a)
> umount -A, (b) deleting all mention of *cyg* from the registry (c) finally
> deleting c:\Cygwin and below. Part (c) failed! Even though all files and
> folder attributes are -R-A-S-H, in the Windows sense, something is stopping
> me getting rid of all of them (access denied). (Many files and folders have
> successfully been deleted: I am talking about a stubborn residue.) Any ideas
> what?
>
> Comment: I had just about understood the mapping between Cygwin permissions
> and Windows attributes in W98, and was putting up with the ludicrous
> Microsoft-imposed limitations on filenames. Then I "upgraded" to XP, and,
> omigod, how bitterly I regret it. I seem to have added complication and
> complexity with no matching advantage gained in utility. Either in the
> Windows sense, or in Cygwin. Many (if not most?) of us are single users on
> single-user machines. What's all this about Administrators and User Profiles
> and all that sort of thing, then? Over Goodness knows how many years,
> Microsoft would surely have been better employed dreaming up a proper
> 52-letter filesystem. I applaud you developer-guys, I really do, for taking
> on this monstrous and grotesque family of Operating Systems and, apparently,
> winning.
>
> Fergus

Fergus,

For your question 1: is ntsec on?  Did you try giving the "-p" option to
"cp"?

For your question 2: you probably have a running Cygwin process somewhere
that prevents files from being deleted.  If you still have "ps" around,
run "ps -ef" and see if anything comes up.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II