Re: Problem in executable file mechanism

On 15 Apr, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc.) wrote:
>  Hm.  I tried a quick check here on 1.3.22 and couldn't reproduce this.
>  Can you put together a small test that demonstrates this and/or provide
>  the output from strace?

Well, <long pause here> ... that was a lot harder than I expected!

It turns out the problem *only* manifests if the executable and
directory are in the same directory.  Sorry, I had convinced myself
otherwise before.

Here's how to reproduce:

	mkdir /usr/bin/ls
	hash -r
	ls

It doesn't provide exactly the same symptom as the command I'd tested
with before (where it just silently failed, with exit status 0).  I
haven't been able to work out the difference.  It's not whether it's a
Windows native one or not.

Strangely, if you run the command with strace, the error can not be
reproduced.  Does strace use a different piece of code to invoke its
argument than the shell uses?

>   Also, please take a look at
>  <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.

Sorry.  Cygwin 1.3.15, Windows XP (and others); my cygcheck.out is
attached.

luke