Peculiarities with tar

This might or might not be a cygwin/tar problem...

It appears when tar is running, though...

 Tonight I tried cygwin's tar for a simple backup, from a FAT32  partition,
over a Windows SMB mount... The output ended up to be a seemingly functional
archive, but with this in the console:

--
tar: Removing leading `//' from member names
tar: //FUJITSU2/D/SPel/nfogrames/CivilizationIII/Civ3Edit.exe: file changed

I have verified the contents of the archive with DOS version and
cygwin version of md5sum and they generate the very same checksums.
I also ran the DOS md5sum on the files _via DOS_, those too
matched (diff output is nothing - between the three files).

I take the above to be something odd in tar/cygwin.

 I've done an attempt to supply enough information for debugging
purpouses; NOT attached to this message as the files are quite large.
- There are two strace files and a cygcheck.
- Also a "Peculiarities..." file that contains commands that
actually has been run and then saved w cut&paste.

ASK for a file and I'll send it in personal email.

NOTE: I can't keep //FUJITSU2 as it is due to time limits... so If there
isn't enough information here, then there is nothing more to it. I've spent
too much time on verifying the correctness of the entire thing by now.
Sorry.

 I DO have the offending files, but they are part of copyrighted software...
:-]
(CivilzationIII, ACDSee and three children-level games)

-- LATE ADDITION --

 //FUJITSU2/ is a 200MHz P2 and has McAfee 5.21 running on it.
McAfee checks the files as they're read - does that affect tar's  behaviour?
- Is there a "last accessed date" on FAT32 partitions?
- Does that change as McAfee reads files?
- Shouldn't the fact that *tar* reads files also affect the date?

 D:\> dir /s /b /a-d | find /i "exe" /c
 14

-> There are 14 *.exe files... I would have expected ALL of them
to be included above...

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, Mariefred, Sweden

--END OF MESSAGE--