Re: Windows XP & Internet Connection Firewall

Rob,
Thanks for the quick reply. The only problem is that in Windows XP you cannot specify port numbers when you are running the Internet connection firewall that is part of Windows XP, Unless that can be done via a registry hack. I would be much appreciated if someone does know how to do this could let me know.

Thanks,
Greg Kremer

Rob Siklos wrote:

Hi Greg,

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you have to configure your
firewall to allow incoming connections on port 6000 (this is where X display
info gets sent).

Rob.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Kremer" <greg dot kremer at wright dot edu> To: <cygwin at cygwin dot com> Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 2:59 PM Subject: Windows XP & Internet Connection Firewall

To whom it may concern:

First of all I would like to thank you for making Cygwin and for your
time in helping with the following problem.

I have been troubleshooting a problem I have notice with cygwin. First system specs:

Pentium 4 2ghz
256Mb Ram
20GB HD
Windows XP Pro Service pack 1
with
Cygwin (just downloaded 1 week ago)

now my question:

When I run cygwin with the Internet Connection Firewall running I can
connect to our UNIX box but I cannot run the Xwindows Applications.  If
I run the following command:

emacs -d lc116052:0.0

after about 2 minutes the UNIX box reports "emacs: Cannot connect to X
Server lc116052:0.0.  Check the DISPLAY enviroment variable or use '-d'.
Also use the 'xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
connections from your machine."

If I disable the Internet Connection Firewall the emacs command works

fine.

I was just wondering if there is another work around besides stopping
the Internet Connection Firewall?

Thanks for your help

Greg Kremer