Re: Problem with database engine on Cygwin

On  8 Apr, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
| Larry,
|
| It may be more complicated than that.  unlink() calls DeleteFile(), and
| who knows what happens in the guts of it.  For instance, I'm having a
| permission problem with deleting files on a Samba share from inside of
| applications (but no problems deleting them from the shell).  I've traced
| it as far as the DeleteFile() call, which fails in the former case and
| succeeds in the latter.  Go figure...
|
| My advice to the OP, though, is to check all the return codes, especially
| for system calls.
| 	Igor
|
| On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, lhall at pop dot ma dot ultranet dot com wrote:
|
|> Running on a FAT partition perhaps?
|>
|> You may find a review of the code for unlink() (remove() calls this)
|> call in the Cygwin DLL interesting.  You might find it even more interesting
|> to build your own debug version of cygwin1.dll and stop in this function.
|> ;-)
|>
|> Still sounds allot like you're having a permission problem on delete.
|>
|> Larry

This is an NTFS partition on Windows 2000, not a FAT partition.  On the file
deletion, I check the return value and it checks out OK.  In stepping through
the code, I get a return value of 0 from the delete call.  At that point, the
file no longer shows up in file listings.  It is when I try to recreate the
file with creat() that I get the "permission denied" error. Is it possible
that the file isn't really deleted, even though the return value indicates the
delete was successful?

Thanks for the ideas.  I thought before I started debugging this problem that
I did a pretty good job of monitoring return values...I obviously have some
work to do :o<