Re: event logging -- cron

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> > For all those interested: <http://cygwin.com/contrib.html> contains
> > complete instructions on how to
> > submit patches. To summarize: a) use "diff -up"; b) include a
> > ChangeLog; c) use the <cygwin-patches at cygwin dot com> list.
> >
> > As for your specific suggestion, Andrew, you'll also need to provide
> > the resource with the specific code, so that event viewer is able to
> > decipher it.
>
> The reference you provided to MS's site didn't exactly describe what a
> "resource" is, how you define/create it and how you use it. I believe
> the parameter we are talking about is dwEventID which MS defines as:
>
> dwEventID
>     [in] Event identifier. The event identifier specifies the entry in
> the message file associated with the event source.
>
> There is no description of the format of message file. Indeed the
> example code at
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/debug/base/reportevent.asp
> shows a simple example were the only defintion of dwEventID is a
> #define. If you note carefully I even used the same DWORD value as the
> example there.
>
> Searching around MS's site does not seem to describe how one goes about
> making such resources except in apparently an MS Visual C++ style with
> some sort of .mc file. As such this becomes out of my league as to how
> to map this MS concept of resource compiler/resources and inhertient
> dependency on MS tools with Cygwin's environment (probably exactly why
> this wasn't done in the first place).

Andrew,

FYI, the binutils package contains the "windres" utility that lets you
compile resource files.

As for the example, follow the link to RegisterEventSource, and from there
to EventSources for information on how to provide the necessary resources.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II