Re: setup.exe final pre-release..

I've been following this discussion from the sidelines for a while.. hope
you don't mind be butting in.

On 4 Apr 2003, Robert Collins wrote:
> Setup doesn't have a concept of a local mirror. It has a 'local package
> dir', where it caches packages during install. The mirroring scripts
> around create the same layout as setup uses for that local package dir.
> Setup's needs are simple:
> A setup.bz2/.ini on the mirror (ftp | http) site with correct paths and
> MD5 detauls.
> A local dir to work from.
What if support were added for a "file://" mirror?
For a "file://" mirror,
* Setup could work just as with http:// or ftp://, and download the thing
  to a local cache,
* no design changes would be needed - it's just another "protocol" for
  downloading files,
* it would not require network admins to set up an FTP or HTTP server just
  to have a local mirror (because most already have a file server
  accessible through the network which is not HTTP or FTP, this can make a
  real difference)

Just a thought - I'm not a lawyer, so you can safely ignore me
(although I am married with a lawyer.. does that help?)

rlc