Re: bug with setup.exe: saw tetex-beta even though I did not selectprev

Robert Collins <rbcollins at cygwin dot com> writes:

> Thi is by design. We have a single namespace for all packages, even if
> they don't have [curr] elements. In fact prev only elements get
> promoted to curr.

Ah, I didn't know that.  That's unfortunate, in this case.  The old
tetex-beta and texmf* packages were removed from the archive.  Dummy
`upgrade-helper' packages with newer versions were added, that depend
on the new tetex packages.

> You should still have recieved consistent packages, what didn't get
> installed?

Probably the texmf tree.  Tetex consists of 7 packages.  The fact
obsolete packages (named tetex-beta and texmf*) are also listed, may
add to the confusion; the user probably sees 11 tex-related packages.

>From the [curr] release, to get a working tex installation, you need
tetex-bin, and one of tetex-tiny or tetex-base.  You can do that by
selecting one of tetex, tetex-tiny, or tetex-base.  If you select
tetex-bin, you only get the tex binaries, so that you may combine that
with an already installed texmf tree (read: miktex/texlive).

The upgrade-helpers have been around for over a year.  Maybe we should
simply remove them?

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke at gnu dot org> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter