Re: Bug in Cygwin bash?

John,

Are you a famous composer? If so, are you _the_ famous composer?

At 18:58 2003-04-02, John Williams wrote:
Randall R Schulz wrote:
John,
Yes, there's a limitation on the total volume of argument strings. All Unix systems have such a limit and so does Cygwin. The limits vary from system to system, though POSIX dictates a minimum value for this limit.

Anybody know the standard Cygwin limit off the top of their head? I'm guessing 32K, given what I saw with mkdep

You shouldn't want to know this. If anything, you should want to know the POSIX minimum for this limit.

For cases where the total list of files can be processed in pieces, the xargs command will do the divvying up for you, invoking the command as many times as needed to process all the arguments it reads from standard input. Check it out--it should be in your script-writing repertoire.

Yup - I used xargs in my solution to this problem. It seems not many people build linux kernels under cygwin - I think if they did, this issue I've found would have been reported earlier, because it's the first step in the kernel configuration process.

I'm guessing very few Linux kernels get built under Cygwin, but I could be wrong.

That tyrant CGF, who won't let me leave, uses Linux to build Cygwin. Is that irony or hypocrisy? (Right, right. It's "pragmatism.")

Thanks for your reply,

John

Randall Schulz