Re: Why don't cygwin apps exit when I shutdown Windows>

CP Hennessy wrote:

This is probably a stupid question but I cannot find an answer in the FAQ.
When I exit Windows using either "turn off computer" or "log off", the
windows where I am running cygwin bash does not exit. Instead a dialog
box with the title "End program - <whatever>" and with the options "End Now"
or "Cancel" is displayed, blocking the shutdown/log-off.

What configuration am I missing ?

Are you, perhaps, running bash under rxvt? Do you occasionally kill rxvt bash running windows with the "X" (close) button? If so then are you aware that rxvt does not properly clean up those bash processes and that that is the cause of your dialog box. If you always "exit" your rxvt/bash windows and never "X" (close) them then you will not see this problem.