Re: Added setup.exe to User's Guide

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 09:53:54PM +0100, Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) wrote:
>  IMO; Don't _include_ the descriptions for 'cp' and 'mkdir' - instead find a
> relevant pointer to earlier/ better/ whatever description. This is what I
> wish I've had when I was a new user :-).
>  Nor do I think the links have to be scattered all over the place. Not even
> a separate page for Unix-newbies should be necessary IMO; unless I'm not too
> mistaken there is a load of them elsewhere on the net.
>  IMHO - just find a nice one and include a pointer to it e.g. something like
> this, with the link replaced with a relevant one:
> "If you don't understand the text that follows, you will have to look at
> http://linux-newbie.sunsite.dk/ for some basic knowledge."
>  Another possibility; a nice google-search-link.

In keeping with the Cygwin spirit, I put a link to a google search that turned
up several good links for me. Actually, a lot of interesting ones that I just
spent way too much time looking at. I also added the basic description for
multiple-machine installs, with a note that setup.exe doesn't yet to unattended.
I've always meant to help with that.

> > While there is some of the gnostic knowledge attitidue to why all
>
>  "gnostic" is a new word for me, do you mind to explain it to me (my
> dicationary doesn't cover it).

\Gnos"tic\, n. [L. gnosticus, Gr. ? good at knowing, sagacious; as
a n., man that claims to have a deeper wisdom, fr. gignw`skein to
know: cf. F. gnostique. See Know.] (Eccl. Hist.) One of the so-called
philosophers in the first ages of Christianity, who claimed a true
philosophical interpretation of the Christian religion. Their system
combined Oriental theology and Greek philosophy with the doctrines of
Christianity. They held that all natures, intelligible, intellectual,
and material, are derived from the Deity by successive emanations,
which they called Eons.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

Basically I was using it meaning that there is an attitude on this list that
we have the 'deeper wisdom' of Cygwin that is the one and only truth.

> > While I can't totally empathize since I've never had high Internet bills,
> > until recently I was on US dialup (that's 53Kb down at best).
>
>  I've been around since it was 2400 bps ;-) - believe me; that is slow.

Since we're reminiscing, I remember when a friend got a 300 baud modem and
thought it was so cool. I held out until a local mall store had a Hayes 1200
on sale (4 times faster! Who could believe it!) and then logged on to local
BBSes and played Trade Wars and Land of Devastation until... actually, I guess
until the Internet came to my area. I don't really remember stopping.

>  Ahh... downloading packages is no problem (I have means to get it on CDR).
> Getting CVS contents - maybe not syncing it - might be a bigger trouble,
> I've never tried it.

Well, if you're interested in creating an environment to build the Cygwin
documentation (including web pages), take a look at
/usr/doc/Cygwin/cygwin-doc-FOO.README

>  Time seems to always be a culprit... But my experience is coincident wih
> yours; discussions brings things forth, might it be slow and time consuming.

"But, as I have observed that Time confuses facts occasionally, I hardly know
what weight to give to his authority." -- Charles Dickens, "The Battle of Life"

We can hope, anyway. :)